Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Why a domain name is required for a VPS?

Discussion in 'Free VPS Hosting' started by mrdini, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mrdini

mrdini New Member

Hey,

I am a freshmen here, just found that amazing service. :)

And the main purpose which I registered, because I need a place where I Can run a Discord bot for my guild. For that purpose no domain etc is needed. Just node.js or python(3.5). In this case, why a domain name is required?

Thanks!

2. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

A VPS can be used for very destructive uses in the hands of the wrong people, which damages the service for everyone. Requiring people to have a domain name is a great way to make sure only people with legitimate reasons have a VPS.

Domain names can be obtained for next to nothing for first year of those registrations. It's a small price to pay which will open a new window for you in terms of what you're eligible for.

Grab yourself a personal .com or something. 1&1 are a fantastic place to start off as first year registrations are $0.99. I haven't had issue personally in cancelling auto renew so my first year domains I don't want get released after that first year. But do read the small print as you always should.

Any domain you choose you'd actually like to keep, register/transfer it to NameSilo as it's only $8.40 or so per year with no added fees on top like privacy, icann, or vat/tax etc.

Having a domain at hand is simply a must. They're cheap enough, especially if you do different domains every year making good use of the first year discounts.

Fedora, Dr. Pit and Bryan like this.
  3. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Hello, please review the https://www.instafree.com/tos.php

The VPS is designed to host websites, NOT VOIP/Bots

@Bryan can provide more clarification.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  4. IEpicDestroyer

IEpicDestroyer Premium VPS Client

It'll probably cost you less to get a domain than buy a VPS. Domains aren't expensive and they are just used to verify that your a legit customer. I think your welcome to host whatever you want as long as you don't break the TOS. While I have my sites hosted on it, I do have another application hosted on it as well.

Good luck with the application!

Jase Wolf likes this.