Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Moving website to new host hints needed

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by JimG, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JimG

JimG Hosting Client

I am moving my website to InstaFree and experiencing some issues (most likely my own inexperience).

Background: My current host does not support ftp exporting/importing of web pages, so I need to recreate my website here. The original website was created using their homegrown website builder.

I have installed WordPress here and have an initial website created. I do not want to update the DNS pointer until I can manually recreate my website here. I have tried to access my minimal website using the shared IP address without success.

Can anyone help me with accessing my InstaFree website using the shared IP address?

TIA,
    Jim

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, WordPress doesn't really play well with IP addresses, I hate to say. It really likes domain names. You might be able to get something, you might not.

To access your website, you will want to use https://ip/~username

Hope that helps. :)

3. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

You can try some plugins however use at your own risk.

Welcome to InstaFree. Trust me, you won't look back.

4. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

It's a while since I did this, but I think you have two options.
    Reg a new domain name, and srt up the hosting with that, when it is working, then alias the old name to the new one. This isn't the ideal solution.

Another way that I have used is to set up the hosting as if you had made the DNS change. Then add an entry to your localhost file to tell your computer to go to the new hosting rather than the old one. This is what I used to do 15 years ago, but hopefully it still works.