1. Free Shared and Reseller Hosting account applications have been temporarily suspended.

For further information: Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

OUTAGE Las Vegas VPS Server Down (4/16/20)

Discussion in 'Network and Server Status' started by Bryan, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

We are working on the getting the server back online. We are unsure as to what the exact issue is.

****** UPDATE ******

I don't even know how to explain this without losing my cool and making more angry phone calls...

A few months ago, the Las Vegas datacenter informed me that they were discontinuing co-location in that particular datacenter. So over the the last few months, I have been making trips almost every week to Las Vegas and moving servers from that datacenter to another.

With Covid-19, I was locked out of the datacenter a few weeks ago, even though I still have several servers in the datacenter. The InstaFree Las Vegas VPS server is one that was not moved yet.

This morning, after getting notifications that all of our Las Vegas servers in this datacenter were down, I went to the client portal to attempt some out-of-band reboots, since my other remote access was not working. All of my servers were removed from the portal, and my account was essentially blanked out.

This was the datacenter's response:

Followed by very angry phone call and email sent by me, which I will not post here. :D :D :D

And another response:

After a phone call to a manager of the datacenter, I have been informed that our servers are in a van enroute to the new datacenter (and apparently have been since this morning?), and I further found out that the new datacenter had been given zero notice that the servers are enroute and will need to be configured.

What makes this more frustrating is that just last night...literally less than 12 hours before the servers were taken offline, I had a conversation with the current datacenter regarding a possible timeframe for a move. They said there was no scheduled date at this time, but they would keep me informed as to a timeframe for moving the remaining servers.

So that's where we are. I have no idea where my servers are, except that they are apparently enjoying a nice leisurely drive around Las Vegas, nor do I have any idea when these servers will be made available at the new datacenter when they finally arrive there.

I apologize for these issues, and be assured that I will never do business with these folks again.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Rony Ronouk and Jase Wolf like this.
  2. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium VPS Client Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

A nation of nations in a diverse world of nations
  3. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

No location specified?

Jase Wolf likes this.
  4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Honestly? Yes. I believe something similar has happened here. There's a long story behind it, which I will post here in a bit, but yes, I have a good feeling it's something equally stupid.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Las Vegas.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  6. Konstantin

Weren't we just talking about that DC? For the record, I consider server admins/ IT essential.

Bryan and Jase Wolf like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Yes we were. Ugh! :(

Jase Wolf likes this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

****** UPDATE ******

I don't even know how to explain this without losing my cool and making more angry phone calls...

A few months ago, the Las Vegas datacenter informed me that they were discontinuing co-location in that particular datacenter. So over the the last few months, I have been making trips almost every week to Las Vegas and moving servers from that datacenter to another.

With Covid-19, I was locked out of the datacenter a few weeks ago, even though I still have several servers in the datacenter. The InstaFree Las Vegas VPS server is one that was not moved yet.

This morning, after getting notifications that all of our Las Vegas servers in this datacenter were down, I went to the client portal to attempt some out-of-band reboots, since my other remote access was not working. All of my servers were removed from the portal, and my account was essentially blanked out.

This was the datacenter's response:

Followed by very angry phone call and email sent by me, which I will not post here. :D :D :D

And another response:

After a phone call to a manager of the datacenter, I have been informed that our servers are in a van enroute to the new datacenter (and apparently have been since this morning?), and I further found out that the new datacenter had been given zero notice that the servers are enroute and will need to be configured.

What makes this more frustrating is that just last night...literally less than 12 hours before the servers were taken offline, I had a conversation with the current datacenter regarding a possible timeframe for a move. They said there was no scheduled date at this time, but they would keep me informed as to a timeframe for moving the remaining servers.

So that's where we are. I have no idea where my servers are, except that they are apparently enjoying a nice leisurely drive around Las Vegas, nor do I have any idea when these servers will be made available at the new datacenter when they finally arrive there.

I apologize for these issues, and be assured that I will never do business with these folks again.

9. Jase Wolf

Well that just tops the chart of stupid data centers you've dealt with goodness gracious.

And whilst I'm sure you have a backup server for each.. let me guess, they throw in the van your server without a backup of the data incase something happened whilst on the road.. o_O

Bryan likes this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Oh no, backup servers are ALWAYS off-site. Vegas backs up to Dallas, Dallas to Los Angeles.

And no, of course they didn't take a backup before they moved everything.

Apparently a couple of the servers are plugged in and running (which means they actually made it to the new DC...yay!), But have no IPs assigned yet. All the good that does. Since the new DC wasn't expecting me today, that part is not a surprise. They have to rack the servers, get them hooked up, deploy the IPs, handle the routing, etc. At least they're actually working hard, unlike these other a-holes.

And I bet money that there was not a problem with the rack our servers were in. Super frustrating.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  11. Jase Wolf

Glad to know the servers are safe and at their destination. I'd be absolutely shitting bricks if the Netherlands datacenter WorldStream uses did this.. not knowing where you server is, and for as long as it's on the road anything can happen to it.

12. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Oh...bricks were definitely shat this morning. ha ha ha!!! Still sitting here with working servers and no IP addresses. Not the new datacenter's fault, rather the a-holes who decided it would be a great idea to run my servers across town without my consent.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

If you have a paid VPS, please contact me for a new IP. We have IPv4 provisioned, still waiting on IPv6. Thus, free VPS are still down. They will be getting an IP change as well, so will need to be edited in CloudFlare or such if you're using that.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  14. Konstantin

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I just saw this update (didn't get the email notifications, I don't know why?) I have been subscribed to this thread from the beginning. Sorry for bothering you with nonsense emails privately while you're going through this. Super sorry.

Thanks for all that you do!

Bryan and Jase Wolf like this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Nope, it's all good. Just a waiting game at this point. All the servers are up and running, all the VPSs are up and running (verified all booted up properly), they just don't have IPs to connect to the outside world. Incredibly frustrating...

Jase Wolf likes this.
  16. Konstantin

17. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

More nonsense with this datacenter over the past few days.

If you are on the Las Vegas VPS server, there will be additional information later today.

Fedora and Jase Wolf like this.
  18. Jase Wolf

Welcome to the fabulous Las Vegas

Bryan likes this.
  19. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

They used to be a fantastic datacenter. Nothing but shenanigans lately. It has gotten completely out of hand.

Fedora and Jase Wolf like this.
  20. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Apologies again for the downtime today, and the apparently lack of IPv6 connectivity.

I opened a ticket with the datacenter and they said there are no problems...yet everything was magically fixed about 2 minutes after I opened the ticket. Imagine that.

Fedora likes this.