Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Features and languages

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by Fiend, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Fiend

Fiend VPS Client Hosting Client

I've been looking to replace my current unreliable, host. After having been with pretty much all free hosts out there, I spend hours and hours searching for a different one and compare them. So, I came across InstaFree, but I still have some questions about the shared hosting.

1. I usually use a free domain, but I registered a paid tld for this host. When I read the TOS for the second time, I found out I missed restriction #28:
      Now, my current website is actually fully in English, I think. However, I was planning on creating a version of the content in my native language. Will this be a problem? Technically it's the same content. :p
    2. I'm used to looking at a long list of feature, and if they're not present, I just hit the sign up button, and look in the control panel to see the features, often resulting in removing my account immediately after. Now, since hosting here is manually activated, I would feel bad about wasting someone's time. So I was wondering, is there a long list of current hosting features? 10GB storage, 100GB bandwidth and 5 databases are really nice features. But I'm looking for details on email, SSL (I read about LE, but only in posts older than 3 years), language versions and possibly limitations (PHP + cURL, Python, Ruby, etc. etc.), subdomains, FTP accounts... Well, pretty much everything.
    3. Typically, my website isn't very active in summer. What would count as being active to prevent termination of my account?
    4. Lastly, my WHOIS is private. What would be acceptable proof of ownership and how/where can I show it?

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully answer my questions. :D

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hi and welcome to InstaFree!

1. That will not be a problem. That is actually a fairly old requirement. We couldn't tell if people were hosting hacking sites, etc. Now with Google Translate, it is pretty much a non-issue. So you would be fine. :)

2. We use cPanel, and it is the full version. It is not a version with limited features, etc. Honestly, I don't ever recall seeing an actual list of the languages in cPanel, but I would guess it is over 20. It covers pretty much every language you can think of. We do offer LE (SSL). PHP utilizes the Cloud Linux PHP Selector, so you can choose your own version of PHP, your own PHP extensions, etc., as well as change the limit for file upload sizes, etc. There are 5 FTP accounts, 5 email accounts. Subdomains aren't enabled by default, but we can enable them for you. Honestly, we change the limits for people all the time. If you need more email addresses or FTP accounts, for example, we are normally more than happy to edit the account. We are very flexible.

3. That would not be a problem at all. We basically look for websites that no longer point to our servers, have "coming soon" pages forever, etc.

4. We generally ask for the WHOIS privacy to be removed temporarily, or a DNS entry modified, text added to a webpage, etc. Since you are obviously not a spambot :)D:D), we won't need you to do any of those things.

I hope that helps answer your questions. We have a lot of very happy people here, and are certainly reliable. Here is one of our free servers in Dallas, for example:

dalcpanel.png

I can't say there is never any downtime, because servers need to be updated/rebooted on occasion, datacenter network issues happen from time to time, etc., but uptime and reliability is something we take very seriously, even on our free plans.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Fedora and Fiend like this.
  3. Fiend

Thanks for your elaborate reply, Bryan. You have definitely convinced me to sign up :D Subdomains are a bit of a must for me, since I use my website as a portfolio as well to turn in assignments. Subdomains are nice to keep things separate, so I would like those enabled if it isn't too much trouble :)

Does it matter which server location I select in my application, is there a difference besides location? None of them are anywhere near where I live, anyway. :p

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

You're very welcome! We can definitely enable subdomains for you. No issues there at all.

Server location is going to make a little difference, but nothing major. It's about a 30ms difference between Dallas and Los Angeles, of course with Dallas being slightly closer to you. I don't list the IPs publically, to help prevent DDoS attacks and such. Our looking glass here might give you a little idea of the general difference.

Los Angeles: http://lg.la.wswd.net/
    Dallas: http://lg.tx.wswd.net/

There is no other difference aside from location.

Fiend and Fedora like this.
  5. Fiend

I will choose Dallas than, thank you!

6. Fiend

It has been a little over a week and I have to say that I absolutely love the shared hosting. :D
    I started thinking about VPS hosting for some project development I have in mind. Is it possible to add the Free VPS hosting to my account or do I have to start with the retail version to try if its suits my needs?

Fedora and Bryan like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Glad you're enjoying it here! :) We usually only allow one type of hosting per person, but exceptions can always be made.

I can set one up for you, and if it doesn't meet your needs, we'll just delete it.

8. Fiend

That would be amazing, thank you! :D

9. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

10. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Welcome to the InstaFree family!
    sans-simple-blue.gif

Whenever you're ready to share with us (if you wish) share the URL so we can all chime in :)
    Feel free to @ me at any time to help with basic support needs.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Fiend likes this.
  11. Fiend

Well, look at me needing support :p
    Why does https://ftp.[mydomain.ext] point to the website of someone else? Someone who also has private-rack nameservers. But http://ftp.[mydomain.ext] does not do this, that one actually points to the server.

12. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Working on this for you now. It is a known issue with cPanel when the SSL certificate isn't installed, or is installed improperly.

Fedora likes this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Can you check it now?

Fiend likes this.
  14. Fiend

I'm so sorry, Bryan. I didn't see the notification in my inbox.
    The problem is fixed now, thank you!

Bryan likes this.