1. Free Shared and Reseller Hosting account applications have been temporarily suspended.

For further information: Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

ISSUE: RESOLVED Downtime - Litespeed/httpd Dallas Server

Discussion in 'Network and Server Status' started by Bryan, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

All,

There is an ongoing issue on the Dallas shared hosting server, that popped up (we think coincidentally) following the scheduled maintenance. It started off randomly, but it appears to happen now on a fairly predictable basis. Litespeed crashes right after the nightly backups take place, and again in the very early morning hours Pacific Time.

Litespeed, cPanel, and Cloudlinux technicians are all trying to figure this issue out. We have a lead so far, but we cannot understand why the issue is taking place.

We are going to let the server crash again tonight/tomorrow morning in order to gain some more useful log entries, and will attempt to restore things ASAP. If we cannot determine the cause of this issue by tomorrow, I am very likely going to move every account off of this server to a temporary home, reinstall everything from scratch on this server and then move everyone back. There should be absolutely no downtime associated with those moves, however there might be some oddities that take place due to Apache vs. Litespeed, and emails might have some minor issues, due to IP changes. Hopefully we won't have to do that, but it's on the table. We pride ourselves on uptime, and cannot continue to have this happen.

2. Joshua Johnson

Joshua Johnson Premium Hosting Client

yeah its been pretty regular hopefully yall figure it out

3. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

It appears that the backup script (JetBackup) is what was causing the issue.

Backups have been disabled. PLEASE MAKE YOUR OWN BACKUPS for now. No new backups will be made until this is figured out.

Kcamow likes this.
  4. Kcamow

Kcamow Premium VPS Client Premium Hosting Client Hosting Client

Thanks Bryan!

5. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

Thanks for keeping us informed. It only seemed to affect the blab chat room that I use to talk to a maths undergrad at Cardiff University. With all the disruption caused by the virus, it has been a minor inconvenience.

Kcamow likes this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

This was resolved a few weeks ago, but I wanted to make sure before I show it resolved. It was a bug in CloudLinux. Not sure why we were the only one having the issue, but oh well. :) Fixed.

7. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Considering it's a paid OS, it should've been handled better by them. Just my opinion.

8. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

They tried. They just had no idea what it was. Everyone kept passing the buck, and TBH, I made the assumption it was JetBackup, since it was happening almost every morning when the backups were run and no other time during the day. So that's actually the direction we were all looking. Turned out it was CloudLinux, which was quite interesting.