Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Confusion with WordPress vs SitePad vs Softaculous

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by JimG, Mar 18, 2019.

1. JimG

JimG Hosting Client

As introduction, I am an experienced software developer and am capable of writing html using a text editor. I am also a trained Unix/Linux system administrator. My personal website was originally created using 1&1 IONOS' provided website builder (I thought it was home-grown). I created an account here and am moving my email and website to InstaFree. I, very much, want to use a website design tool to re-create my personal website.

Initially, I tried to install WordPress and copy my website over. This may have created untold problems. While doing this I was also migrating my domain to a new registrar (I don't recommend this to anyone).

Some information I see on the cPanel is confusing. I have installed/uninstalled WordPress a couple of times. Every time I log into cPanel and go to WordPress the 'Install' button is still active which makes me think the installation did not take.

upload_2019-3-17_21-47-16.png

The top of the screen says Softaculous and when I click 'SitePad Website Builder' I'm taken to

upload_2019-3-17_21-49-36.png

which is a website named us.sitepad.com. What does that have to do with WordPress? Again, I think I may have confused the InstaFree cPanel with trying to copy my original website over. At this point I need to figure out how to clean up my mess. If anyone has some ideas, I'm all ears/eyes.

PS - I created a basic index.html page and uploaded it to my public_html directory (without it people had access to my directory structure which I didn't think was a good thing).

TIA,
    Jim Goode

Valeyard likes this.
  2. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Hey there!

I’ll be more than happy to break it down for you.

Softaculous is an app installer that installs web apps such as Wordpress or PHPBB. Softaculous Isn’t affiliated with any particular software or content management system. You can install WordPress or other apps into multiple directories on your cPanel account. This is why the blue install button is still available.

Apart from that.
    SitePad is a separate website builder NOT affiliated with WordPress. It's simply just another choice or program to build your site. While SitePad and Softaculous are owned by the same people, the other apps within Softaculous are owned and maintained by others.

To view the apps that you have installed on to your cPanel account with Softaculous simply click on the box (I highlighted it in the screenshot below) and you can edit or see your installs with Softaculous.

FIndMyInstallAutoInstaller.PNG

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. JimG

JimG Hosting Client

Thank you for the explanation.
    When I click on the icon you highlighted (I'll call it a Banker's Box) it tells me I have nothing installed.
    upload_2019-3-18_12-9-49.png
    When I click on the WordPress icon within Scripts within Softaculous Apps Installer I still get the left side menu list with SitePad Website Builder shown at the top.
    upload_2019-3-18_12-11-22.png
    I've clicked on SitePad Website Builder, removed one page that was there, and tried to remove the site but it remains and the SitePad Website Builder remains. I'll poke around and see what I can come up with.

Jim

4. JimG

JimG Hosting Client

After some more digging I was able to use the SitePad page to do a reset which got rid of a theme associated with the site. It still does not recognize a 'Delete' site. SitePad still displays at the top of the left hand menu when I select WordPress from the cPanel. Looking at the page source, it is embedded in that page.
    upload_2019-3-18_13-0-21.png
    Page source
    upload_2019-3-18_13-2-28.png
    and
    upload_2019-3-18_13-3-11.png
    I suspect that WordPress should display at the top of the list of categories. Anyone know how to effect this change? I have reinstalled the WordPress script/app without a theme, currently.

Thanks,
    Jim

5. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

WordPress isn't on the top. SitePad is on the top because it's part of the Softaculous family. The left side bar doesn't change. Only the center.

If you need help installing WP, let me know

6. JimG

JimG Hosting Client

Thanks. I finally figured out how to get to the WordPress editor, found a WordPress tutorial, and will fumble around with some design for awhile. I appear to have WP and a few themes installed, although most themes are blog oriented and I'm not currently interested in a blog. I appreciate all your help,
    Jim

7. Valeyard

Valeyard Hosting Client

You can install multiple instances of Wordpress. I can see you have installed wordpress in the default /wp/ folder:

https://thegoodeshome.com/wp/
    https://thegoodeshome.com/wp/readme.html

You may be wanting to install it in the root folder, in which case delete the installation in Softaculous (and delete the /wp/ folder entirely in FTP or file manager if anything is left over) and then reinstall in the root directly - it's also a good idea to specify https when installing as well (https is already set up for you as you can see above). You can move it manually, but easier to just reinstall.

[​IMG]