Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Alternatives to PayPal

Discussion in 'Paid Upgrades' started by Kuffy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

Some years ago PayPal ( the company) tried to defraud me, and I ended up with about 3 years of disputes, which included communications with Trading Standards, the FSA and various other regulatory bodies. As a result of this, I will not use PayPal, and I try to discourage others from using the "service". I have a variety of other payment methods including Visa Sterling debit and credit cards, a Visa US dollar debit card, and a Citibank dollar account, and I also have a Bitcoin wallet. Is it possible for me to use any of those methods to pay for a paid hosting account?

2. Hussam Al-Tayeb

Hussam Al-Tayeb Hosting Client

3. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hi,

I'm not a huge fan of PayPal either, to be honest, but that's what everybody seems to want to use. Our paid hosting company can process any kind of debit or credit card. I could certainly create an invoice over there and get you added to the system if you are interested.

4. Kuffy

Thanks for that Bryan. My Visa debit dollar account would be the best for me to use. I was thinking of taking up one of the $12 per year accounts for half a dozen or so domains. Maybe a couple would use Drupal, the rest would be simple HTML pages. Which type of account would be best?

5. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

The $12 would likely be fine. Drupal can be a little resource intensive at times, but it's usually not an issue.

6. Kuffy

I believe there are a number of things one can do to optimise Drupal if one does not need all of the features. I can get some advice on that if I join their forum. Am I allowed to have a paid hosting account in addition to the free one? If so, then I would like to use the name Kuffy. I plan to create a programming persona based on this name.
    Would a shared plan cover me for six (say) domains, or should I use a reseller account? I don't mind having a go with a VPS if there is some sort of control panel associated with it.

7. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Good questions.

A VPS is going to keep you isolated (in a sense) from everyone else, and give you more RAM, which is always good. You also don't get as much disk space, bandwidth, or cPanel. Give and take really.

Check out Webuzo and see if you could get by with that. They have a demo on their site. There are other free control panels out there too. I've always been a fan of Webuzo though, just for the ease of setting everything up, upgrading, etc.

Between shared and reseller, I would go with a reseller. Each site can have its own cPanel, to keep the different sites more isolated. With shared you could add them as add-on domains, which I have never personally been a huge fan of.

Fedora likes this.
  8. Kuffy

It looks as if reseller is the best option for me atm then. Can I use the sobriquet "Kuffy" with this account - I own Kuffy.com? I assume that it would be better to have a different domain as a base for the hosting.

9. Stefanie

Stefanie Guest

Well, nobody is a fan of Paypal here, but a lot of people are still using this dummy payment processor. As i'm not from US, I have been using Perfect Money for a while and I'm very satisfied with that.
    I'm making payments frequently with my Bitcoin wallet that is an universal transparent payment system accessible for everybody.
    So from my experience I advise InstaFree to give up Paypal (if they don't want troubles later) and accept payments from credit/debit cards, Bitcoin and Perfect Money (if applicable). I don't want to make things up.

10. Fedora

Fedora Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Each user can choose which payment processor that prefer. In my case, I prefer PayPal.

11. Kuffy

I really like the Bitcoin concept, but I've been having prioblems finding people to accept it. I've built up a small holding as a currency hedge though. I've backed off a bit while the SegWit/blocksize conflict is going on. I support core, and I run a full node. I've just upgraded this to 12.1, and I like the path the core developers are taking.

12. Deslug

Deslug Gaining Popularity

i hate PayPal they took my money 2 times whit out a good reason,only thing i use is ideal to make online payments

13. Fedora

I have used PayPal for many years and have never had problems with them.

14. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

@Bryan can always find a solution

15. Fedora

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2018