Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Using a VPS to manage traffic domains

Discussion in 'Free VPS Hosting' started by Kuffy, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

Recently I've become interested in buying traffic domains, and I need a way to manage re-directions, and to manage stats. I'm considering renting a basic package from WSWD to experiment with this. I suggest WSWD rather than Instafree, because I think Bryan has been a bit over-generous with me, and I don't want to continue to take advantage of his generosity. I'm really pleased with Instafree, the sites and support are better than that provided by most paid hosts, and I know I will get the same great service from WSWD. As this is a commercial project, then I don't mind paying a basic fee for the service.

Apart from the basic package, this is what I feel I will need.
    • a dedicated domain name
    • Ubuntu server
    • Bind
    • One dedicated IP for the site
    • Two dedicated IPs to simplify the domain name resolution
    • (probably) 3 MySQL databases
    I assume that Sudo, FTP, secure services, and other such stuff is included on Ubuntu
    Does this seem as if it is manageable? If the package is around $24 pa, then it's worth it to me to experiment with the concept.

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

A VPS comes with all of those things, if not by default, they can be installed through the OS.

3. Kuffy

I've just found a domain name to use, so I'd like to go for this some time next week. Will the 3 IPs be OK?
    I'll pm you to discuss payment. 1 year in advance, and paid in dollars via credit card might be easiest.
    The basic WSWD vps package looks OK to start with. I assume that there won't be a problem if I send 200 or more domain names to it using my own name servers.

4. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Are you planning on running specific applications?

5. Kuffy

I want to custom build them.
    I picked up a domain name yesterday, and I've just put a simple redirect on it. So far it has sent over 1,000 surfers via that redirect. What I want to do is to find out where they are coming from, and the language they are using. Based on that, I want to send them to different sponsors. I want to keep stats as well. The response needs to be fast so that I don't lose the surfer. I suspect that bandwidth and server load should be pretty small.

I want to rinse and repeat for a few hundred more names.

I'll probably use DNsend.com as the master domain
    and ns1.xohc.com and ns2.xohc.com for the name servers, but I may change that.
    I'm assuming that I need 3 IPs, one for each of the above. The redirected names will not be hosted on my servers.
    Traffic could be arriving from 3rd world countries, so I'm not sure if the new IPs will work everywhere, I'm not up to speed on those.

6. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

The only time you would need multiple IPs for nameservers is if they on different servers. Doesn't do any good when both IPs are on the same server, since when the server crashes, both nameservers go down. In the case of IF, for example, the 4 nameservers are all on different servers. It would be pointless to point all 4 to one server. Wouldn't do any good.

The IPs would definitely work everywhere. No country restrictions or anything.

7. Kuffy

Well it's not the end of the world if there is a bit of downtime. However, Instafree and WSWD has been rock solid during the years I have been here. That makes me sound like an old timer, but it must be 3 years or so. :)
    I understand what you are saying, but doesn't ICANN require you to associate at least 2 name servers with a domain? I thought that those IPs has to be different from the one for the site as well. This is based on my knowledge of about 10 years ago, so they may have changed the rules.

I wanted to use private name servers for two reasons. It looks more professional, and it keeps my stuff away from the WSWD domains used by other users. Would the private name servers add much to the rental bill?

8. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

You are correct that ICANN requires at least 2 nameservers. Both would simply use the same IP. i.e. ns1.yourdomain.com would point to 111.111.111.111 and ns2.yourdomain.com would also point to 111.111.111.111. Meets their requirement without wasting an IP.

Private nameservers don't add anything to the bill at all, and in fact, if you use a VPS, your own nameservers are required. We don't do any DNS for VPS, simply because we would have to be contacted for every single DNS change. Nobody wants that. :D

Of course, that would all have to be configured manually using BIND or such without a control panel.

9. Kuffy

OK - I looked at the signup, and it prompted me with my email addy for the host name. After a bit of research I was thinking of submitting the following options

Centos 7
    Hostname - box.dnsend.com
    Name servers - ns1.xohc.com and ns2.xohc.com

Obviously I own both of the .coms. Am I starting with a sensible base by doing this?

10. Konstantin

Just FYI, 6 and 7 are different when it comes to commands. I find 6 a little easier, could just be me.
    If you need a tester to ensure things are working or if I can help you out in any way, please reach out to me! :D

Kuffy likes this.
  11. Kuffy

It looked as if there were a few extra things in 7, that's why I suggested that.
    I was thinking of using Ubuntu, as I've got that on a notebook, but a few sites seem to think it's fine for desktops, but not for servers. Isn't Centos based on RedHat? I found this article -
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/centos-7-minimal-server/

I think I might try installing this on the netbook. I gave up on maintaining a second Bitcoin node, so I just use the netbook for viewing sites when I am building on the notebook. I also use it to watch youtube when I am offgrid.

12. Konstantin

It is! From what I understand. CENTOS is for sure a big player in hosting. From what I'm doing (not website related) CENTOS has served me very well. What I like about it, it's stable, works and is ready to rock upon install. At the end of the day, whatever you are more comfortable with.

13. Konstantin

14. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Something like that would make sense, yes. CentOS 6 and 7 are both good. I've started installing 7 on pretty much everything.

15. Kuffy

There might be a slight delay on this. Cable has gone up because our stupid Government is saying things about making a deal with the Keiser Reich. It looks as if I should have sold my dollars last week.
    I will have a go at installing Centos this w/e if I can. The alternative is to start the VPS and see how I get on.

16. Kuffy

I might have to accelerate this. I'm now getting over 1,000 hits a day, and that's only a few of the names. No sales, so I do need to do a bit of traffic analysis and filtering as soon as possible.

Bryan likes this.
  17. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Which one are you planning on getting?

18. Kuffy

After a bit more reading, I've realised that I don't need to do a load of fancy programming. If I stay conventional (perish the thought), then I can use a free cPanel lookalike, htaccess and a stats package to get started. If I use a basic filtering page for each domain, then I can do a bit of experimenting. I probably need to get the surfer to select if I want to split men. women, and kids.

I'm going to try to install Centos 7 on the netbook, and see how I get on. I've got an external 256Gb SSD that I can use to boost the internal drive if I need some extra memory. One problem is that it doesn't have an ethernet connector, so I'll have to use bluetooth or WiFi.

Bryan likes this.
  19. Kuffy

Well I started this by deciding to re-format a 128Gb USB stick. I decided to do a full format - big mistake. It's been at it all afternoon, and there is no indication when it is going to finish.

Update at 18:37 - it's still running, and there is no indication of when it will finish. It didn't take this long with the old 5Mb MFM drives. :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Bryan likes this.
  20. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Ha ha ha!!! Oh boy! No idea what might be taking so long for a full format on that thing. That's crazy!