Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Text message status system

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Joshua-NY, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Joshua-NY

Joshua-NY Member

It would be cool if you could add a text message system, so if a issue or important things come up you can send a message that would go to ever phone number that signed up for the texts. I would understand if there would be some compilations with a system like that but thought that I should at lest bring it up.
    Best regard
    Joshua Updegrove

Konstantin likes this.
  2. Joshua-NY

Joshua-NY Member

Sorry for the typos I was trying to type this on my phone during my break and auto correct did not help either ;)

3. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

With Instafree being international, don't you think that's going to cost a fortune? If it was US and Canada only it would be reasonably ok because there is multiple free/cheap texting services, most notable being Google Hangouts, but then probably for commercial use they aren't viable either.

If people are signing up for website/vps/TS hosting, it probably means they're easily in touch online. So email notifications, far better. If Bryan were to take it further by doing to text, I'd expect that would be for WSWD not InstaFree due to the pricing involved, it wouldn't be viable at all with a service that gives free hosting plans.

4. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

The best way, I think would maybe be like an email system. Once there is an issue @Bryan could send out status emails... Just an idea in response to

5. Joshua-NY

Joshua-NY Member

There are free options available for example one could be remind.com

6. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

That's just an app and not a real text, right?

A few things:

1) Nothing mission-critical should really be hosted on free hosting. I know people do. Heck, I know of businesses who host with us. So constant updates really shouldn't be needed.

2) This forum is hosted in a completely different datacenter than any of the hosting servers. So if anything goes down, this site should still be up for updates and such. Unlike other folks, we don't host our websites on the hosting servers. Never a good idea. :)

That said, I'd be happy to consider something like this, or a mailing list or such. I'm not sure how many are aware, but most cell phone companies have email addresses that go to text. Try it out. ;)

Verizon (vtext.com)
    AT&T (txt.att.com)
    SprintPCS (messaging.sprintpcs.com)
    T-Mobile (tmomail.com)
    Boost (myboostmobile.com)
    Virgin Mobile (mobl.com)
    SprintNextel (messaging.nextel.com)
    Straight Talk (vtext.com)

It's usually your 10 digit phone number @ that address. So mine, for example would be xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com.

If there was enough interest, an email list with those emails would be perfectly doable, for folks who want to opt-in to a mailing list like that.

7. Jase Wolf

That's really interesting. It's somethung which seems not so much setup in UK but great to know O2 is set up with MMail and because they are, Giffgaff and Tesco mobile who piggyback off the same signal are. So that's pretty awesome

Joshua-NY likes this.
  8. Joshua-NY

Joshua-NY Member

People so
    @Bryan It's not just an app you would hand out a code and they could sign up with there phone number,using the app, or email. It's mainly used for schools but it is a cool and free way for fast easy updates. :)

9. Joe Rodriguez

Joe Rodriguez Premium VPS Client Premium Hosting Client

This type of 'status update' was used in the past, back in the 'old days', before social media was a thing.

I've done what @Bryan does in the past. Fact is, the more 'systems' that are added, the more work is created in maintaining the infrastructure. When "Twitter" came about, this method of texting 'status update' slowly got phased out in favor of simple Twitter posts. Most already have an account for various reasons and no SMS gateways or extra email servers/lists to maintain.

So.. if this is something that's really in demand, I would submit.. use Twitter. Depending on how you've setup the Twitter app on your mobile device, you get notices on posts. Essentially, the same as getting a text message nowadays and many ISPs currently employ this method for updating their customers on status changes or updates.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  10. Jase Wolf

Discord.gg/InstaFree make it now Bryan XD

Bryan likes this.
  11. Dr. Pit

Dr. Pit Hosting Client

12. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Maybe like a bot???
    But TBH I think our current status system works very effectively

Joe Rodriguez likes this.