Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Some questions before buying.

Discussion in 'Paid Upgrades' started by video_error, Oct 15, 2016.

1. video_error

video_error New Member

Hi! I'm new here. Anyhow, for the past couple of days I've been highly considering buying one of your VPS hosting plans. But before I do, I'd just like to ask some questions before I have peace of mind to buy. :)

1. Do I have root access?

2. Can I use PuTTY(http://www.putty.org/) or a VNC client to connect to my VPS(I know it sounds like a stupid question but you can never be to careful. ;))?

3. Am I allowed to use a Premium VPS to run a small game server? I know that's against the Free VPS Hosting TOS but is it against premium as well? I had a hard time finding the TOS so I'm just not sure. Maybe it's something that needs to be more visible. :\

4. Do the Premium VPS plans have DDoS protection? Wasn't to clear on this.

5. Do you provide a domain for the VPS?

6. Does the plan payment auto renew? Say if you chose a monthly plan, after a month it'd charge you, then after that month is done it'd take more money for the next month.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just want to make sure of what I'm getting. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hi, and welcome!

1. Yes. It's a normal VPS with all the access you would expect from one. :)

2. Yes

3. No. We don't allow game servers on any of our VPS (free or paid) as they are too resource intensive...namely CPU.

The TOS is in the menu up top, as well as the footer on every single page at Instafree.com (excluding the forum).

4. It isn't something we advertise, but yes they do.

5. No, you need to purchase your own domain name.

6. Yes.

Hope that helps!

Bryan

3. video_error

video_error New Member

Okay, thank you Bryan! :D I would be fairly happy with all the answers except for one, number 3. It's a bit of a bummer. I don't think this is the provider for me then. Thank you anyways! Very professional support from what I've seen, look forward to seeing how this goes for you. :) This really does suck, is this going to be a feature in the near future? I can respect your decision but I think a lot of people use VPSs for game servers and you'd have a larger market for it. Again I do respect your decision, it makes sense, not trying to tell you what's best for your business. Thanks again!

Best Wishes!

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

It is not something we plan on offering in the future, unfortunately. VPS are not really suitable for game servers, to be quite honest, and while it might not exist in every host's TOS/AUP, you will not find many VPS providers who allow them. You'll end up using too much CPU and they'll suspend you or terminate you for that.

The exception to that is providers who offer dedicated cores or dedicated CPUs. Don't be mistaken by the imposters (there are many). There are some that will legitimately give you a dedicated core (or more), so your usage cannot affect other folks on the server. https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices is a good example of this. They are a great bunch of people over there. It's a decent offer for sure, but I believe they are sold out currently.

Aside from that, you're pretty much screwed aside from getting a small dedicated server, but that's probably out of your price range for this project, I would guess.

5. video_error

video_error New Member

Well the game I want a server for is very small. The community is only a couple hundred active users, if even. So there is no dedicated hosting company. As I cannot port forward, a VPS is my only choice. :\ I do understand that they really aren't meant for that, but I really don't have another option. Thanks for the suggestion, looks like a steal! I don't need over 1GB of Ram and 1 core, my servers not even that big. I guess I'll use them instead. Thanks so much, Bryan! If I ever don't need a dedicated VPS then I'll look here as your deals are great!

6. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

As a side note: the VPS's are amazing, uptime is fantastic and quality is unmatched