Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Shoutcast (or similar)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Wayne Tomlinson, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Wayne Tomlinson

Wayne Tomlinson Hosting Client

I know this isn't a popular request from looking in here, but if you ever do a trial or whatever, can you let me know? I'd love to have an online station up again. Had to close my other one on a different host due to the costs of a VPS

Bryan likes this.
  2. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

My advice is to keep your eyes peeled we always improving

Bryan and Wayne Tomlinson like this.
  3. Wayne Tomlinson

Wayne Tomlinson Hosting Client

Open like a hawk lol :)

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

We actually used to run free Shoutcast (via WHM Sonic) and it had zero interest. There were literally 2 people who used it and that was it, so we got rid of it. :(

If there's enough interest, it's something we can look into re-introducing.

Wayne Tomlinson likes this.
  5. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

I'd planned to set up a couple of radio stations. I've even registered radiokuffy.com. I'd like to have a go, but I'm trying to do far too many things at the moment, and I'm not sure how much time I could dedicate to it. However, radio shows might be easier for me than some of the other sites I'm trying.

lmk if you do decide to offer the service.

Wayne Tomlinson likes this.
  6. Konstantin

As a side note. Just remember SC uses a lot of bandwidth so keep that in mind

7. MGCJerry

MGCJerry Premium Hosting Client

I would also be interested in SC hosting.

I used to do a lot of DJ'ing on my own, as well as over Secondlife. I do currently have a LAN only radio station that takes automated requests that I can jump on to do some DJing.

Personally, I keep my stream at 96K, 20 listener max. If I had the ability to get decent hosting, I would have done a few more shows at places where there are 30-40 listeners.

8. Konstantin

Maybe we can setup like a poll and see if people would be interested. @MGCJerry what did you use to DJ with?

9. MGCJerry

MGCJerry Premium Hosting Client

In the old days, I used self recorded CDs then moved to mp3s. As far as online DJ'ing, I used my 'requests' system to queue up the next tracks until I finally got VirtualDJ basic and used it for a few years.

Then everything went south and I ended up moving and that was 3 years ago. Id like to get back into it.

10. Kuffy

Is there a more efficient alternative to shoutcast then?

Bryan likes this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

No. Bandwidth is bandwidth. Given a bit rate, there really isn't anything you can do to change how much bandwidth is consumed. Bandwidth has also gotten a lot more reasonable though, which is a plus. :)

12. Kuffy

Doesn't it depend on compression and stuff like that though?

13. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

It does, but there is only so much compression you can do before things start to sound really bad, especially if you're using it for music.

14. Kuffy

Would it be possible to optimise it for talk shows then. Maybe record in mono or something like that?

15. Hussam Al-Tayeb

Hussam Al-Tayeb Hosting Client

mp3 is lossy but good. you will need a really good audio output system to notice the difference between 320bit mp3 encoded files and files encoded via a lossless format like flac.
    aac is also good. a 128bit aac encoded file sounds slightly better than a 128bit mp3 encoded file. Both are lossy formats though.
    I would go for aac if you are providing free access to your radio stream or flac if people are going to pay for your service.

16. Kuffy

Do most people want to use a radio station for talk shows, or for music. My personal preference is for no music, I find it really annoying when you are trying to hear someone speak.

17. Konstantin

For talk shows 96 KB/s or so would be just fine. It's just voice right?

18. Konstantin

Everyone has different needs or wants. I have done projects with Shoutcast and let me tell you, it's a great product if you make sure to 1. have a good host 2. have a good internet connection. Bitrate is everything. Also don't forget you want to have it high enough for quality but low enough so that everyone can listen, even those on slow connections.
    The more listeners the more bandwidth.

19. Konstantin

ShoutCast Prov1.PNG Here is a basic breakdown I found from 1 provider I would recommend 96 for talk shows.
    For the most part free providers are
    • Up to 128Kbps Bitrate

20. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Let me know if you would be interested in doing some beta testing. Have a shoutcast/icecast server installed. Just doing some testing.