1. Free Shared and Reseller Hosting account applications have been temporarily suspended.

For further information: Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

ANNOUNCEMENT Sad Day For the Hosting Industry

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Bryan, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

https://blog.cpanel.com/announcing-account-based-pricing/

cPanel announced yesterday an amazing change in pricing structure, that has enraged the entire hosting community. cPanel has received an incredible backlash on Twitter, Facebook, and other media for their move. Some hosts have already reported a 600-1200% cost increase just in the cPanel license costs alone.

What does this mean for InstaFree? It's not good. After 10 years of InstaFree, and 23 years in the hosting industry, this could very well be the end. The license costs would become unwieldy for a free service (they are becoming unwieldy for a paid service!) and would be impossible to maintain.

We currently pay $30/mo. or so for every cPanel license on our dedicated servers. That covers an "unlimited" number of accounts. So if we have 1000 accounts on a shared hosting server, for example, our cPanel cost will now be $225/mo......more than the cost of the server itself. Every new free account we add to our servers is going to cost $0.20/mo. Not bad until you have 10,000 free accounts and a new $2,000/mo. bill just for cPanel, not including any server costs.

Even worse are the reseller accounts. Every reseller account I provision will cost $1.20/mo. Doesn't seem like a lot, until you figure there could be a couple hundred resellers on a server. The premium reseller accounts are even worse. If a client creates 10 accounts under the reseller account, that will cost us $2.20 per month. So much for $12/year reseller accounts.

There are alternatives out there, such as DirectAdmin (which I really like, and offer on WSWD), but there are no migration paths, and of course cPanel is more feature rich. The migration alone, re-provisioning servers, etc., would be a nightmare. InstaFree actually ran on DirectAdmin its first year, but I made the move to cPanel when I took over.

So I don't really know what is going to happen around here. I wish I had better news, and quite frankly, I wish cPanel would overturn their immensely stupid decision.

Let's hope for the best!

PCTipsGR likes this.
  2. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

I think it's definitely the move to either DirectAdmin or Plesk. From what I can see, Plesk has a much nicer UI to DirectAdmin, but then DirectAdmin has a better support system and a one time all in cost option, and you're probably as the host going to be much more able to help people with DirectAdmin.

Luckily for me, I'm not going to be too affected with the fact it'll be a different probably less featured control panel, such as with my subdomains/redirects. Because I'm doing it all myself directly in htaccess, I'm not bothered if I still have the redirects user interface etc in the way Cpanel does as opposed to say Plesk. But if DirectAdmin does still then that's great.

Luckily we all have options and I'm sure InstaFree can stay for years to come. Maybe not with Cpanel, but of course a corporate giant like Cpanel which is thought of as the industry standard is going to end up taking advantage of that because they know many rely on them and will eat up the cost, but when it comes to services like InstaFree, there's just no way you can.

Bryan likes this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Plesk is actually owned by the same investors who own cPanel, so that's not even an option.

PCTipsGR likes this.
  4. Jase Wolf

Ahh ok so Plesk is going to end up exactly then same then good grief. So messed up it is

5. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Exactly right. In fact, they already have a pretty similar pricing scheme, but just not to this extent.

The investment company basically used Plesk and WHMCS as a test bed for this new pricing. And as of a few cPanel versions ago, they started collecting "statistical" cPanel data from servers...I'm sure how many user accounts are on each, etc.

This is definitely something that has been in the planning stages for a while, though unbeknownst to everyone in the industry.

PCTipsGR likes this.
  6. Jase Wolf

Reading on LET, that dude saying he's alright despite he's selling unlimited CPanel master resellers, and that's going to be the new DDoS.. One day before the renewel date, someone buys a master reseller and through automated software creates say 100k accounts and before you even notice you're bankrupt because the next day you have suddenly a $20k bill.

I think if people want CPanel still, they will have to go over to WSWD. But here, it'll have to be DirectAdmin. Or at least, if you can bare the $12 /y shared accounts having CPanel, they won't be able to be eligible via IF$, only DirectAdmin accounts eligible with IF$. And free of course will need DirectAdmin. Reseller Hosting, that'll probably have to be more of the VPS pricing for CPanel.

Bryan likes this.
  7. Jase Wolf

Right got my backups done as from what I can see, that's what will be needed to migrate over to DirectAdmin, the backups.

8. Jase Wolf

Ok seen this demo of DirectAdmin with a skin to make it more CPanel like look.. Probably the main thing for me that'll take getting used to will be the file manager which is from what I can see a lot less featured. But besides that, quite a robust alternative, especially with the fact even if Bryan could deal with the costs of CPanel, who's to say this is where is stops? They're only going to keep on going..

https://cyber-es.cyberneticos.com:2222
    Username: demo_user
    Password: demo

9. Jase Wolf

DirectAdmin without that theme also looks clean and nice, though I think having the option of that theme would certainly be fantastic so people aren't too lost compared to CPanel.

http://demo.directadmin.com:2222

10. Jase Wolf

Have to say the code editor is wicked!

11. Evets

Evets Hosting Client

Are there any other alternatives? I know I just used "webmin" for years on my vps and dedicated servers.

Bryan likes this.
  12. Evets

Evets Hosting Client

a quick search found a number of free alternatives to cpanel
    • Froxlor - Open source cPanel alternative
    • ZPanel - Free, developer friendly control panel software
    • Webmin - Web-based cPanel alternative for system management for Unix
    • Vesta CP - Simple and very quick open source control panel

Bryan likes this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Most of those panels have huge security holes. That's largely the problem with free panels.

I'm not even looking for free...just not cPanel's exorbitant new pricing scheme. In fact, I would even pay an increased cost for the license itself. It's the per account pricing that is killing everybody. That's where the prices are really being driven up.

DirectAdmin ain't looking too shabby.

Evets likes this.
  14. Fedora

Fedora Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

I'll make new backups right now and I'll be ready to migrate when you say it.

[​IMG]

Bryan likes this.
  15. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

I don't really need a reseller account. I just used it to group domains. I've got a difficult month at the moment, but I can get rid of many of the domains I'm hosting for resale. Name Silo offers a free hosted sales page, so I could use that. I've also got at least one VPS with WSWD that I'm not using, and I ought to move some sites onto that. I still haven't got round to master VPS management.

When do you think the changes will kick in?

Bryan likes this.
  16. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Shoot me a DM if you need help. Happy to assist.
    If I'm not mistaken, cPanel will migrate all licenses in September.

Bryan and Kuffy like this.
  17. Joshua Johnson

Joshua Johnson Premium Hosting Client

yeah i ant happy with cpanel either really thinking about going to directadmin myself

Bryan likes this.
  18. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

As far as here, I don't know TBH. I still don't know what changes are going to be made. Ha ha! This is just such a mess right now, it's hard to figure out.

There are a ton of obstacles to just migrating over. The migration script certainly helps matters, but it's the often unseen items that are the most difficult, i.e. a DNS Cluster, Automatic Backups, etc. Maybe just force everybody to use CloudFlare? I honestly don't know the answer yet. JetBackup is working very quickly on becoming DA compatible, but nothing so far.

19. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

The sites I really want to work on in the future are based on Drupal, B2Evolution, and SMF. I believe that a backup and restore isn't too difficult with them. Other sites are based on HTML templates, and they will just need to be reloaded from my hard drive. I really like Softaculous, so it would make life easier if that was available under the new setup.

20. Jase Wolf

Softaculous is luckily available also for DirectAdmin so I'm definitely sure Bryan won't forget about that, as Softaculous is one of the things people will most certainly miss