Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Rule clarrification, please?

Discussion in 'Free Reseller Hosting' started by David Gregoire, Jul 6, 2018.

1. David Gregoire

David Gregoire Premium Hosting Client Hosting Client

I have a buddy who wants to do a similar project as I am. I told 'em to get a fully qualified top level domain name - and that NameCheap was my go-to. He's now bugging me with a domain that ends in .ml - which is explicitly disallowed for people who apply here.

He's not applying here - he's going through me. But, the rule specifically disallows those for the folks applying.

It's not very clear if I'm allowed to host them.

I'm very, very comfortable saying, "No, meatstick. They don't allow .ml or any other free domains on their server. Get a real TLD! A cheap one is like $2! I'll even give you the $2! Just tell me what you want and I'll register it!"

But, he's kinda set in his ways and seems pretty fond of his domain name. Yup... I told 'em to go to a different host for now.

So, I'm quite happy - regardless. I'm just not sure how the rule applies to resellers. After all, the rules say "one domain" and that's kinda silly with a reseller account where you, by the very nature of it, have more than one domain. ;-)

Sorry to bug you - but I'd rather ask first and not get yelled at or banned. I kinda like it here and don't want to put that at risk. Though, if I'm ever banned, can I still come back for the cat pics?!?

By the way, my buddy is harmless. He's not bright, but he's harmless.

2. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

One domain/site only applies to free users. With a premium upgrade, you're more than free to have all the domains and websites in the world... Just keep them kitten friendly. If one domain/one website wasn't allowed, then @Bryan would be giving me and @Kuffy a beating that's for sure ain't that right Bryan.

Regarding the real TLD requirement, in my understanding that only applies to resellers/VPS users. Clients of resellers or that are going for just a shared hosting direct with Bryan, that requirement doesn't apply.

What requirement does apply though, is that you don't offer free hosting because Bryan offers free hosting himself.

You can of course ask and he might give permission regarding that if the use case is because you need to help that person with website stuff, like I do with my friend Ro. But you must have Bryan's permission before you do that.

A certain user that got banned back in 2016, mainly because of the nulled software he put on, the part of that reason.. He made my friend a free hosting account under his reseller whilst knowing that that friend had a hosting account under my reseller back then. Taking no consideration to the one account rule and the no giving out free accounts rule.

Bryan is an awesome chap, and he may allow things if we nicely ask and are trustworthy, but when people do things that they are not allowed without asking, just because someone else does... That's when Bryan is going to get his big boot out and like always @Fedora will give the mandatory meme that's needed for that. (Give the EU a booting will ya Bryan)

Bryan can't stop you stalking the public parts of the forum but you ain't seeing the client only kitties mate!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Fedora likes this.
  3. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

The rule is that you can do whatever you like here as long as it doesn't damage instaFree, and Bryan knows about it, and gives his permission. Deceit and abuse are big problems with hosting, and probably worst with free hosting. I've asked Bryan for too many favours probably, and he is a generous and helpful person. He won't compromise security though, For example he didn't want me to run a Bitcoin core node on a shared server. This is a reasonable restriction because of the dangers in opening extra ports. You guys should be thankful that Bryan looks out for your interests.

To return to the original topic. I've played with a variety of country and general TLDs, and I've given up on all of them apart from .com. To my mind, the 'free' ones are a complete waste of your time, and are a danger to your surfers. They are 'free' for a reason, and you need to reflect on the way the registrar recoups the six figure cost of running a registry.

Fedora, David Gregoire and Jase Wolf like this.
  4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

@Kuffy and @Jase Wolf are 100% correct.

At the end of the day, a lot of he rules (and we do have a lot, compared to most other free hosts) are there to discourage the casual abuser from...casually abusing. :) While some potential abusers don't read the rules anyway (and we have other means of weeding those people out), many, perhaps most, do and just move along to an easier target.

As @Kuffy said, as long as you're not doing something abusive to the servers or other users, you're probably going to be okay. Exceptions are made for good people all the time.

The reasoning behind the paid domains is largely due to the greater potential for abuse from the reseller and VPS platforms. The paid domain helps verify that you are who you say you are (though yes...WHOIS information can certainly be faked), and just generally says you aren't a scammer, who is going to sign up and abuse things. Even though domains are like $0.88 for some, the scammers and spammers and such won't even do that...they just use free domains.

Secondly, the reseller accounts are really intended for startup hosts, to get their feet wet, get things started, etc. What business can't afford a $10/year domain name? Allowing free domains would simply allow people to sign up, start using their nulled whmcs, etc. We still see stuff like that happening on occasion, but it's incredibly rare.

Long story short, the free domain names on your accounts are fine. Haha! That restriction is just for the resellers themselves, and VPS folks.

5. David Gregoire

Fedora and Jase Wolf like this.
  6. Jase Wolf

Well whatever saves @Bryan needing to kick ya in the pit ;p

Fedora likes this.
  7. David Gregoire

Yeah, he's a gracious host so I'll do my best to be polite and not disruptive to the community.

Also, I'm familiar with cat memes - even though I don't have a cat. So, I should be okay... Should...

[​IMG]

See? I even include cat pictures! @Bryan says I need 100 of 'em! He didn't say they had to be OC! Heck, I even remember how to use old BBCode when the automated button thingy is broken. (The forum is misbehaving this morning.)

Jase Wolf likes this.
  8. Fedora

Fedora Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

[​IMG]

I felt so happy to read that... ha ha ha!!! :p

Muchas gracias. :)

David Gregoire, Bryan and Jase Wolf like this.
  9. David Gregoire

Mi hijo y su novia están visitando desde Perú. Puedo practicar mi español. Es muy mierda! (Pero lo intento.)

Lo aprendí todo de tu pequeña lección! Ja ja ja!

10. Fedora

Hey! I did not teach you that word in my class, I am absolutely sure.

Tell me something, did someone help you to write that post? LOL! :p

Jase Wolf and David Gregoire like this.
  11. David Gregoire

No. :(

Any and all mistakes are my own.

12. Fedora

Excellent! I proud of you. Yes, it is the second time I said that, but it is true. :)

David Gregoire and Jase Wolf like this.
  13. Jase Wolf

[​IMG]

Bryan and David Gregoire like this.
  14. Fedora

Did @Jase Wolf use a translator? That is the question...

I'll send some cats to investigate (Fedora & Bryan Investigation - FBI). :p

Bryan, David Gregoire and Jase Wolf like this.
  15. David Gregoire

Gracias. Mi gusta visitar America Latina. Estudie (estudia?) Latin en la escuela. Eso ayudo.

I'm pretty sure I misspell most things. I can read it better than I can type it! I can speak it even better.

It's good to practice with my son and his lady friend. Alas, they've gone out to visit with some of his friends. They'll be here for the next week, maybe longer. Their tickets are open-ended.

Jase Wolf and Fedora like this.
  16. Fedora

"Estudie" is correct. Only one thing in the text: "Me gusta".

Good job!

Well I never expected to found someone want to try write in spanish here. It is a nice surprise. My english is not good, I know that but I like this community and all guys are really amazing and kind with me. I appreciate that nobody laughing of my mistakes when I write. It is the best community for me. :)

Bryan, Jase Wolf and David Gregoire like this.
  17. David Gregoire

It is good practice for me. A long, long time ago, I studied Latin and then Ancient Greek. Those were, for the most part, entirely useless. I have picked up quite a bit of Spanish in my travels and by associating with with many people from Spanish-speaking countries.

Your English is better than my Spanish. So, there's that.

Also, I love Latin America. The food is delicious!

Bryan, Jase Wolf and Fedora like this.
  18. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

I used to be 100% fluent in Spanish...would watch the Spanish TV and the whole 9 yards. Sabado Gigante, Destinos, El Balcon de Veronica (I SO had a crush on Veronica...lol). Thought at one point of getting a Spanish degree as my 2nd bachelor's, but just never really got around to it. More classes cut into my golf time. Haha!

That was quite a few.years ago. Entonces ya no soy fluido.

Todavia se lo suficiente como para pasar, pero nada como solia hacerlo. Me pongo mucho mas fluido cuando estoy borracho. LOL!

Fedora, Jase Wolf and David Gregoire like this.
  19. David Gregoire

LOL I'm not sure if I'm more fluent while drinking, but I certainly am more confident!

Fedora, Jase Wolf and Bryan like this.
  20. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hahaha!!! I've never scientifically proven it or anything, but my key to learning a language really quickly and really well was separating the part of the brain that tried to translate.

For example, when you look at a cat, you should not think cat. You should think gato. When it has to be translated, you're wasting brain time and resources going back and forth, and that severely slows you down. But your brain wants to call it a cat, because that's what you know it as.

I think in my case, being drunk completely impairs the part of my brain that wants to translate back and forth between English and Spanish. Not but a few months ago, I held an entire conversation in Spanish with a Puerto Rican friend. I probably couldn't do that sober now if I tried. I would have to mix some engish in with it.

There was only one study ever done, to my knowledge, but it never really determined why alcohol helps you be more fluent, only that it does.

Fedora, Jase Wolf and David Gregoire like this.