Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Propogation/refresh times

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by Diego Vogel, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Diego Vogel

Diego Vogel Member

Does anyone know how long it should take for changes uploaded via FTP to take effect? Is there a way to trigger a refresh through cPanel or something?

I uploaded some updated HTML and CSS files 30 minutes ago via FTP connection. The new HTML is showing up on my site but the CSS changes still aren't showing up. Is this normal? My entire site is only 1.22 MB in size.

If I disconnect FTP and reconnect I can see the updated files are there, so I know they were uploaded. But if I go to my site and use Inspect to see the code it still shows the old CSS.

2. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

That should be instant if I understand you correctly. Clear your cache for me.

Diego Vogel and Bryan like this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Should happen instantly. I'm guessing the .css file is being cached.

Try creating an .htaccess file in your public_html directory and put the following:

<IfModule LiteSpeed>
    CacheDisable public /
    </IfModule>

<IfModule LiteSpeed>
    CacheDisable private /
    </IfModule>

See if that takes care of it. If not, it's not being cached on the server side, and is likely being cached by your browser.

Diego Vogel likes this.
  4. Diego Vogel

Diego Vogel Member

Ok I cleared the browser cache and that fixed it, ha. I guess that means it wasn't cached on the server, but I'll add that .htaccess file anyway.

Thanks a lot guys!

5. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Woo hoo!! Good to hear! :)

6. Konstantin

I would suggest only adding that if you are doing MAJOR changes. LightSpeed usually updates itself almost instantly.

7. Diego Vogel

Diego Vogel Member

Gotcha. I'll hold off on it then. All my changes (and in fact my entire site) are pretty small. Thanks!

8. Konstantin

When you enable the cache module it allows for sites to load MUCH faster. One of the pros of using IF
    if you need anything else let me know

9. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Don't know if you're splitting your header/footer up into header.php & footer.php files or something like it so that you only need to do the html markup for them once for all your pages

But if you do do that, it's a very easy simple method adding a version number at the end of the css stylesheet(s) links.

You'd do this in the head css links like:
    HTML:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/theme/css/mainstyles.css?version=2.82">
    This means if 2.81 is already cached by the server and browsers etc, changing the number to 2.82 will force it to refresh grabbing the newest version at that time and so on for each change.

10. Joe Rodriguez

Joe Rodriguez Premium VPS Client Premium Hosting Client

It's good practice when working with website updates to make sure that you clear your browser's cache in order to see changes. Good, quick and dirty way to make sure you're bypassing your cache is to load your site using the incognito/private instance of your browser, then u don't have to bother much about your cache getting in the way. In the end, your bandwidth benefits from browser caches since they won't download your files each and every time they view your page... Just to see the exact same content, know what I mean?