Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Paypal payment issue.

Discussion in 'Paid Upgrades' started by lkm, Sep 18, 2015.

1. lkm

lkm Hosting Client

Hi, I'm unable to pay for an account upgrade using paypal. In order to complete a transaction I'm forced to link my credit/debit card to my PP account, regardless of my available PP funds.

Given how I'm able to pay for other stuff online without any trouble most of the time, I'm assuming this comes from some merchant related settings which forces paypal to use such policies.

The main issue here is that I'm one of those who likes the idea of the "least privilege" rule, my main intention of creating a paypal account in the first place was a separation from my bank/credit/debit card stuff, so those are used only locally in a safely manner, while paypal fills the gap for all the international in/out transactions, where I would prefer to stay more secure.

I'm guessing this could be related to recurrent payment, I even tried a small trick with flipping account upgrade form hidden input named "src" (recurrent payment indication) from value "1" to "0" before clicking subscription button - while this seemed to work at the first glance (paypal page showed one year instead of "each" year) - it failed with the same error as above anyway in the end.
    Other hidden input form fields include all the data I would need to do it manually (like WSWD paypal linked e-mail), however those fields also contain callbacks and other custom data which probably are used to help with processing such payment later.

I would like to ask if there's another, official way to make a payment using paypal, but without such requirement.

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in our upgrades! I have never heard of that happening before, to be honest, so I'm not sure why it's telling you that. My guess would be the recurrent transaction (I believe that happens automatically, in the forum software...I have no way of changing that) or due to the fact that we normally don't accept payments from unverified PayPal accounts. I believe to be verified, it has to be linked to a bank account or card, but I'm not 100% sure.

In any event, you are welcome to send the money to our PayPal account (paypal@wswd.net), and just PM me the transaction ID so I can get you set up manually. That shouldn't present any problems at all.

3. lkm

lkm Hosting Client

Hi, technically speaking the only problem I've encountered so far without verifying my account with a bank/card are some more strict account limitations, but it's not like there are billions going through my PP, so not really an issue.
    All the payments for domains, steam, ebay etc. always went smooth.

There was no problem sending directly to "paypal@wswd.net", so whatever it was I'm glad there's a workaround that can get the job done.
    I'm sorry for all the inconvenience associated with that, but given the quality of this service it feels like a sin not contributing to a place like that ;)

PM has been sent, thanks again Bryan.

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Thanks for the upgrade! We definitely appreciate it.

I'm going to look into the issue further for future reference and see what I can come up with. It might actually be the recurring payment, as you mentioned. Unfortunately, the forum software defaults to recurring payments for upgrades, wih no way that I could find to change that.