Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

New Domain Coming? (And Another Thing...)

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by Fourteen Crosstown, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Fourteen Crosstown

Fourteen Crosstown Hosting Client

Wow, it has been three years already! Very nice!

But speaking of... I'm considering getting a new domain... but I would like to stay here at Instafree. I'll be backing up my things as of Mar. 1, but when (and if) I get the new domain, will I have to get a new account, or could I perhaps get the new domain and perhaps use the same nameservers for this account?

Also, I saw someone ask about subdomains... I would like some as well, too!

Kuffy likes this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hello,

Is it an entirely new site, or will you be using the same material from your existing website? If it is a completely different website, the easiest method would be to create a new cPanel account. If it's the same website but a different domain, you would simply buy the new domain, point it to our nameservers, I make a switch on the backend, and in about 10 seconds, the new domain is up. However, if you have any databases, the username for cpanel would have to remain the same, otherwise that gets very messed up.

I can do some subdomains too, yes. :)

Kuffy likes this.
  3. Fourteen Crosstown

It's the same website, just a different domain. I just have to fix some email things, along with putting in the subdomains for the new websites.

4. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

If you are keeping the old domain name, you can use URL forwarding through your registrar to preserve the traffic, or Bryan could enable domain aliasing for your account.

5. Fourteen Crosstown

Well the domain expires on March 19. There isn't a lot of traffic going to the website, it is just mainly my personal blog but I am planning on making a business site with one of the subdomains (once I finish backing up my website and putting new stuff up).

6. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Just PM the domain change whenever you're ready, and I'll make it happen.

Kuffy likes this.
  7. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

My personal preference for business sites is to use a second level domain such as Kuffy.com
    If you use a third level sub-domain, then you risk losing traffic if you become popular, and somebody registers the sub-domain without the dot. For example - Radio.Kuffy.com is vulnerable to somebody registering RadioKuffy.com and picking up the traffic.

Bryan likes this.
  8. Fourteen Crosstown

Oh? So should I use crosstown.me for the business website, and the blog/roleplaying/personal sites should be on the subdomains?