Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Internet Radio: Not Acceptable Content?

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by Gene Savage, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Gene Savage

Gene Savage Hosting Client

In re-reading the TOS / AUP again tonight, I noticed two parts that concerned me:

29. Streaming videos/music
    and
    12. Links pointing to any material that is not allowed under this policy

My site is home of a currently off, but hopefully soon back on, internet radio station. I hope to be streaming soon on YouTube with audio only, and of course I would want you to be able to click from my site to YouTube to listen to us.

I would not, however, be using any resources of InstaFree to stream; it would only be a link on my website.

...Am I reading correctly that my site wouldn't qualify for InstaFree because of this? :(

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

You're good. Your site's content is fine. :)

Jase Wolf and Gene Savage like this.
  3. IEpicDestroyer

IEpicDestroyer Premium VPS Client VPS Client

It doesn't really matter unless the site or VPS attracts a DMCA takedown right?

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Depends. If we know it's something illegal, we will ask you to remove it.

But at the same time, we don't go through your content trying to find things. We don't go through your content at all.

5. Gene Savage

Gene Savage Hosting Client

Perfect. I have NO desire to do something illegal, so we should be in good shape. :)

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm really excited to be here.

6. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

If you have any other questions, just ask!
    ;)

7. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Yea just don't be an Ian LOOL

Bryan likes this.
  8. IEpicDestroyer

IEpicDestroyer Premium VPS Client VPS Client

Just curious but how are you going to know if you don't look at the data we host? (ofc aside from us telling you)

9. Jase Wolf

Suspicion is sometimes the thing that makes you find out. Like if you're using industry standard corporate software that is not at all cheaply priced or directed to individuals and are using it for say a personal small community site/forum/blog etc. We're not saying there's no way at all anyone would want to pay to use corporate software, but then when you come to a free/low cost hosting service... Are you really going to be one paying for that type of stuff?

Usually it's a dead giveaway and it just 99% of the time takes just one quick peak at the license file to confirm it is illegally obtained software. And I'm not talking so much software that is priced around $100 or so, rather software that costs a few grand or is subscription based and costs a few high double to triple figures monthly.

I used to do live streams often on my YouTube channel last year (not now though thanks to internet not even suitable for uploading pictures lmao). I love OBS Studio, but then Wirecast sure does appeal to me. But do you REALLY think I'd pay such a high price for Wirecast for personal YouTube gaming live streams especially that I'm not a big YouTuber? It'd be a dead giveaway that I obviously illegally obtained it.

All it takes is just one peak or hint that someone's using something they obviously aren't supposed to.

If websites can immediately track what browser, operating system, what version and what package (regarding Windows) you're using, illegally obtained FTP clients, CMS', code editors and dozens of things that have any sort of connection to a website or whatever can be picked up by it.

Even if things you use to create your site like code editors, especially WYSIWYG editors that have no connections, rather you're manually uploading things yourself or using other means other than that editor etc... You're still uploading the files that was created using it and we download those files to our devices when we visit the sites etc even just the once.

You could be using an illegally obtained DreamWeaver to create your site and not looking at the raw code it creates in the files and it could say in those files that you're a pirate which to people using web browser developer tools will immediately be noticed.

People do not need to look at things continuous to catch things not supposed to be there, it just takes looking just the once, or seeing in server status that something's strange like the CPU usage, and then dig a little deeper and you catch the criminal committing the crime red handed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Valeyard and Bryan like this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Exactly what @Jase Wolf said, plus we get a lot of reports from either other people, or the copyright holders.

WHMCS is a big one here. Chances are that if you are on a free reseller account, you aren't going to be paying $15/mo. for a license. As partners with them, we are both proactive in finding pirated copies.

As far as other stuff, it will often come in the form of a DMCA takedown notice.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  11. Valeyard

Valeyard Hosting Client

That was very interesting Jase!

Jase Wolf likes this.
  12. Jase Wolf

Coming to a budget/free host and then supposedly paying high premiums for corporate software like IPS forum software like a certain person I mentioned don't be an ... above, it's like turning up to the job centre in a Rolls Royce to claim benefits.

It doesn't quite add up lmao

Bryan likes this.
  13. Jase Wolf

In my thoughts, instead of coming here for free hosting and supposedly "paying" for all this high expensive software to use on your account, how about you donate all your supposed dozens of grands of money you have here to InstaFree and Bryan I'm sure will be happy to implement these things for all of us :p

But then I guess that may not be a good idea when for all we know it could be smuggled money.

Just don't agree a deal to collect or have the money sent physically Bryan, more possibility of it being smuggled than online xD.

Bryan likes this.