Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Internet Explorer Required Note

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GeekLoco, Jul 31, 2018.

1. GeekLoco

GeekLoco Hosting Client

I tried registering for this forum on Win7 with Waterfox v56.0.4.1 and Chrome v67.0.3396.99. Both kept giving me errors on the username and email fields like the following:

Code:
    The field '0abde878fe854fe5290034c08114bcf9' was not recognised
    After sending a "Contact Us" message, I decided to dust off the dreaded and despised Internet Explorer v11 and had no issues. It would save some grief to have a note on the forum registration page that IE is required (only for registering) as well as any other known browsers (Safari?).

I hope this helpful if it isn't redundant - if I missed the message elsewhere.

2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Hi,

I did just get your email. IE is by no way required. I have seen the error before in Chrome, but I have personally registered test accounts with both Chrome and Firefox and had no problems at all.

Wish I could track down the errors and see what's causing them.

3. GeekLoco

GeekLoco Hosting Client

Sadly, after filling out the form on both browsers noted above, the registration failed saying:

I think it would be good to have a message saying something like "If you are having trouble registering on Windows with Firefox or Chrome, try Internet Explorer." I haven't needed to use IE on any websites in a long time, so I forgot to try it, which added to wasted time and frustration. But at least it is in a post now, so if anyone else has an issue and starts exploring, this may help.

Thank you for your reply. :)

4. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

Do people still use Internet Explorer? I switch between Firefox and Chrome without any problems.

I don't mindg trying a registration test if it helps. Just don't let Bryan set that Wolf on me for doing it. :)

Bryan likes this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

@Kuffy there is definitely a problem with Chrome randomly, but I can't figure out what it is. I honestly think it's part of some of the scripts I use to thwart spam registrations, but I'm not sure. Feel free to test. It would be appreciated. Just make the username obvious if you could, so I can delete it afterward, if it goes through

6. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

I’ll go ahead and try both on Mac and Windows and report both to you. @Kuffy if you want to give Firefox a try and I’ll use Chrome.

7. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

I registered as KuffyChrome. This seemed to work without any problems, and the confirmation email arrived almost immediately. Sorry, I put Kuffy as a referrer, and it seems to have given me some $IF. I can send those back if you want me to. I couldn't open a conversation with you, and I don't have access to these boards as KuffyChrome.
    details are -
    Browser: Chrome
    ISP: McDonalds free WiFi
    PC: Intel core i5 notebook
    Coffee: McCafe black

Let me know if you want me to try FireFox or Ubuntu or Kali

Whoops! I've just read Konstantin's post again, sorry. Let me know which OS you want me to use with Firefx

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  8. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

If you could try Windows. Don't think we have many (if any) Linux users.

Just tried Chrome on Mac and no issues.
    Konstantin Chrome Mac was the user.

9. Valeyard

Valeyard Hosting Client

The issue is you're not using FireFox - you're using an unstable fork based on Firefox ESR 52 which as of July reached end of life and no longer receives security updates from Mozilla! That means the only security updates you now get are from the sole active developer of the browser... ⚑ ⚑ ⚑ ⚑ Do you really want to be using that?

Bryan likes this.
  10. GeekLoco

GeekLoco Hosting Client

Yes. A BIG FAT YES! I DO want to be using that!

I did say I had a problem with Chrome as well. So when you say "The issue", your statement is incorrect. You should have said "MY issue", meaning "you" have an issue with me using Waterfox.

I have been using Firefox as my primary browser since version 2, or maybe a little before. I remember v4 was still good through v12. I noticed v12 was the point at which Mozilla starting the change to convert Firefox to be more like Chrome.

I loved the Firefox plugins with the Firefox plugin system and the fact that Firefox laughs at having 50, 100, or 400 tabs open whereas Chrome starts choking long before that. Now that Mozilla has dropped the "old" plugin system in its effort to be a Chrome knockoff, I'm not as enthusiastic as I used to be about Firefox itself. I obviously still prefer it to IE or Chrome, though. I have many gripes with what the developers have done to Firefox. Since v12 I had started using, along with Firefox, several derivatives, including one that jumped ship years ago that didn't beat around the bush and switched onto the chromium base. So I promptly dropped it.

I have no less than 7 browsers on this computer, and the Waterfox developers have made a commitment to developing a new coded browser that continues what Firefox used to be, which I believe includes allowing the user to decide things like whether the address bar is above or below the tab bar without having to jump through hoops. Once that is deployed, I'll be on it.

I do get the impression that you replied just to thumb your nose at me. I'm not a "common internet user" and am aware of using layers of security. I know that the only way to be secure is to be unplugged from the internet and keep the computer off. I'm aware of certain risks and guard against them as much as possible while trying to maintain a sense of usability. But now that this has gone off-topic, I will bring it back to the topic that Chrome was also having an issue registering here. AND IT IS THE LATEST VERSION.

Considering other potential users may be reading this thread in the future for the original issue of a possible solution to sign-up issues on this site, it's best that the thread stays on topic rather than they get involved in a debate over the browser wars and think "Do I really want to be a part of this?" and leave.

Joe Rodriguez likes this.
  11. Valeyard

Valeyard Hosting Client

There is only one Waterfox developer - Alex Kontos. You are putting all your trust in a sole developer for a very complicated multimedia application that has to be able to load and run HTML, CSS, Javascript, Graphics, Audio, Video, Plugins, etc. Yes things about the UI of Firefox annoy me as well, I don't like the fact that I can't have a status bar at the bottom for example. But it's still miles better than Chrome.

It's not a personal attack, it's just my opinion that using browsers like that with such a small developer base are a bad idea. It's not just about security, you could be doing some important work and have one application, your web browser, suddenly freeze your computer and crash it! That actually happened to me just a few weeks ago using a standard browser (I won't say which one because I don't know for sure that it was the browser that crashed the PC but it certainly seemed like it).

Yeah of course your point is valid.

12. Joe Rodriguez

Joe Rodriguez Premium VPS Client Premium Hosting Client

I really love this... much respect dude

Although @Valeyard makes some valid points.. So do you. I don't suspect that @Valeyard intended to thumb his nose at you, but to just give valid points for the more average user can have more info when making their choices.

What do I know tho.. I still use elinks/surf.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    GeekLoco likes this.
  13. David Gregoire

David Gregoire Premium Hosting Client Hosting Client

\o

I use Linux almost exclusively. I have VMs with obscure OSes and sometimes play with those. Oddly, I have a Windows phone. Everything else is Linux.

I'm not a Linux, or even FOSS, zealot. I just prefer Linux. (Much of my earliest computer experience was with Unix.)