Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

Help please with setting up FileZilla

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by Tingewick History, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Tingewick History

Tingewick History Hosting Client

Hi folks
    This is the first time in ages I've started a new website from scratch so I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
    I have NOT yet redirected my domain name to the new site - had intended to build and test it first.
    I logged into cPanel and downloaded the Filezilla configuration files (I tried both but for now will just talk about the SFTP one)
    Imported to Filezilla, modified it to Logon Type: Normal and my User and Password pre-filled.
    However, when I click 'Connect' all I get is:

Response: fzSftp started, protocol_version=8
    Command: open "tingewick@ftp.tingewick.org.uk" 2200
    Error: ssh_init: nodename nor servname provided, or not known
    Error: Could not connect to server

As I say, I haven't yet changed my domain forwarding - is that the problem, or am I doing something else wrong?

Using normal FTP gives a similar set of messages:

Status: Connection attempt failed with "EAI_NONAME - Neither nodename nor servname provided, or not known".
    Error: Could not connect to server

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks
    Su

Jase Wolf likes this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Yes, it is trying to use your domain, which isn't going to work since it isn't forwarded yet. Until you transfer your name, use la.private-rack.com for the server name.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  3. Tingewick History

Hi Bryan
    Many thanks! Definite progress BUT still getting an error:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...

{ --- long pause for thought: meanwhile FileZilla is NOT showing anything in the 'Remote site:' panel --- }

Command: CWD /public_html
    Response: 250 OK. Current directory is /public_html
    Command: TYPE I
    Response: 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
    Command: PASV
    Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (45,34,3,218,208,42)
    Command: MLSD
    Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Now, I am clearly making SOME sort of connection - when I made /public_html my default remote directory & set up synchronised browsing, a couple of sub-folders from my 'Local site:' were created (interestingly, the one containing the pages I was working on this morning) - and I can see them using the File Manager on cPanel, albeit empty. So - why am I not connecting fully with FileZilla?

Jase Wolf likes this.
  4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Under Encryption, select "Use Only Plain FTP (Insecure)." There is a somewhat well-known bug with cPanel and FileZilla. It should work immediately after that.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  5. Tingewick History

Hi Bryan
    Awesome! That now works perfectly! I owe you ... and I mean that.

One final (I hope!) dumb question: my pages are now uploading - but what address do I use for my domain redirection / web forwarding or whatever the right title is. My domain is registered with easily.co.uk and I normally just fill in a box with the 'real' site address - which I was expecting to be something like

http://www.instafree.com/tingewick/
    or
    http://tingewick.instafree.com/

- I have hunted round cPanel documentation and on this wonderful forum but I guess I'm not using the right search terms :(

Fingers crossed, that's the final step and I'll be all done and dusted ... apart from the slog of building the pages, of course :)
    Su

Jase Wolf likes this.
  6. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Hey there! I'll see if I can help. Give http://45.34.7.20/~accountusername/ a try.
    So if my account name is example:
    http://45.34.7.20/~example/

Hope this helps.

Should this pose a security threat. @Bryan I apologize.

Welcome to InstaFree.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  7. Tingewick History

Hi Konstantin
    Good suggestion - think I found it in an earlier thread, too, and tried it - alas, still no go. I'm guessing maybe those numbers are unique to each account so I'd need a Bletchley Park computer to try all the options to find mine by elimination. Hey ho.

I have to say, this place is brilliant - it's wonderful to be able to talk to real web-builders trying to help rather than - if I'm lucky - a faceless employee with a cut-and-paste list of standard answers ... none of which fit ... I'm blundering round trying to do stuff I set up 20 years ago without thinking and (of course) have now forgotten - so I'm really struggling.

Thanks loads for trying!

Su

Jase Wolf likes this.
  8. Konstantin

Hey there! Not sure why I didn't get an email notification (I checked spam and didn't get anything) could you send me a PM and I'll do my best to assist? There are some steps I would like to go over with you

Jase Wolf likes this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Have you tried just pointing it to the IP address and seeing what happens? That's generally how it works with Cloudflare, for example.

TBH, the easiest way is to change the nameservers. That is what most people do, and it's definitely the foolproof way of making it work.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  10. Tingewick History

Abject apologies @Bryan, @Konstantin - I thought I'd tried all the IP address permutations but had managed to get a pesky extra space in the correct one.

For the benefit of other newbies who may find this thread in the future, I've set up web forwarding for my domain name to

http://xx.xx.x.xxx/~tingewick/

where
    • xx.xx.x.xxx is the IP number supplied with my account setup info
    • ~tingewick is my UserName prefixed with a tilde (I think that's what the squiggle is called?)
    [If that doesn't work properly, I'll try changing the nameservers - not done it before and a bit nervous about messing it up :( - will come back and update this post in due course - forwarding can take 24 hours to take effect.]

Once again, many many thanks for your help. Hopefully I've got it right this time!

Jase Wolf and Bryan like this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Looks good. Just note that the IP address can change occasionally. It doesn't usually happen, but if it does get changed for one reason or another, your website will stop working. That's why I really recommend the nameserver method. There are a TON of knowledgeable people here who would be able to help you through it if you want to go that route. It's super easy to do. :)

Jase Wolf likes this.
  12. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

This seems to be a very convoluted way to set up your site.

Why don't you want to use the standard approach of just pointing the dns at your hosting? You must be using URL forwarding via your registrar, and that looks to be causing some lag in the initial page load. It's not cloaked either, and this may generate some mistrust in your surfers.

On another note - I use Core for my ftp transfers. It's free, reliable, and it's got some great features.

13. Konstantin

Now is a good time to mention that tech support comes at a fee... of $00.00 a minute. Can I interest you in one of your “helping hands” payment plans?

14. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

But we all know there is a hidden $0.00.9 charge xD

15. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

Payment in Bitcoin please. You know what happens if you haven't "bit" the hand that feeds you. :)

Jase Wolf likes this.
  16. Fedora

Fedora Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Jase Wolf likes this.
  17. Jase Wolf

What I did before I moved my whole domain, I simply did a subdomain temporarily.

18. Konstantin

Work in progress.
    ----
    What CMS does your site use.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  19. Jase Wolf

Fedora: "You are ugly"
    Konstantin: "Shh kitty, I'm a work in progress!"

Konstantin likes this.
  20. Konstantin