Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

ANNOUNCEMENT Free/Paid Teamspeak Hosting Ending!!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Bryan, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

It has been a good run, but our Teamspeak days are coming to an end.

Along with a recent website redesign over at Teamspeak, came a redesigned license structure. Notably omitted are the Authorized TeamSpeak Host Provider (ATHP) licenses. That license is what allowed us and other hosting companies to set up TS servers and provide "slots" on our servers.

After a chat with the Teamspeak staff, it was confirmed that the ATHP licenses no longer exist, and the existing license holders will be phased out. Presumably, they will still grandfather their largest companies for a while, but we were essentially given the boot, even though we have been paying a considerable amount of money to them every month.

Why the change? They want to handle the licenses completely themselves, presumably since there's more money to be made that way. Why charge a host a few cents a month, when they can sell an entire license to somebody starting at $55/year?

What does this mean for you?

1) We will run our Teamspeak servers as long as practical, likely for less than a couple months. Unfortunately, we will no longer be entitled to updates, and I can almost assure you that upcoming client versions are going to cease supporting our version of the server software. Guaranteed!

2) You will need to get/purchase your own Teamspeak license directly from them. You can then host it on one of our VPS servers. I am looking at potentially creating some VPS plans with extremely limited resources (TS really doesn't need all that much to run, unless it's a large server) for hosting TS servers. But IPv4 IPs are going to be the difficult part, unless we start using OVH or such, whom I absolutely cannot stand and generally refuse to do business with. :p

Note that Teamspeak has implemented a free 32 slot version (similar to what they used to offer) that does not require any sort of license. You simply install it and off you go. However, if you need more than 32 slots, and you are not a non-profit organization, you will need to purchase a server license, starting at $55/year for 64 slots. The pricing can be found on their website.

*** If you are currently a Premium Teamspeak member here, please contact me regarding refunds and options for continuing service. ***

2. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

Thanks for the update, and I thought that you had already withdrawn the service. I did try it,but couldn't generate any enthusiasm in the Bitcoiners or domainers that I work with. I haven't used it for a while, so please delete anything re: my channel that is on your servers.

If I wanted to install it on my VPS, do I download the Linux 64- bit, or does it need to be a dedicated VPS?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. Fedora

Fedora Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

Life is a constant change. I hope better things come. :)

4. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

It does not need to be dedicated to TS. Yep, just download the Linux 64-bit version and go from there. It's very easy to install, for the most part.

5. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

If you need help, PM me and I’ll gladly help you.

6. Kuffy

Thanks for the offer, I've got a VPS with WSWD that I need to use a bit more. The server is fast and reliable, so it would probably be great for this. I'll run it by the guys on my English language improvement site, and see if they think it would be useful. I'll come back to you when I've done a bit more research.

7. Fedora

Sometimes I wonder how many projects you have, and then I answer: I think there are many more of those that I believe. :)

Kuffy likes this.
  8. Konstantin

I concur. The VPS's ran by @Bryan are absolutely the best!

9. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

The unfortunate part is that the free VPS are NAT and IPv6, so far from ideal for TS, hence my trying to come up with a cheap alternative for folks.

10. Konstantin

Can we all just give a big applause to Bryan for seriously wrecking his brain on how to make this work? Considering the service is free (and rally cheap for those who upgraded) I must say I’m very appreciative of all of Bryan’s efforts and doing anything he can for InstaFree.

Thank you!

Fedora and Bryan like this.
  11. Fedora

@Bryan is an amazing guy. We love him. :)

Bryan likes this.
  12. Kuffy

Should I hold off before I try to put it on WSWD then?

I still haven't had any replies from my English language tuition lot.

13. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Nope, you're good. WSWD doesn't use NAT. You get your own IPv4. Same with the paid VPS here. It is only the free VPS that can likely not support TS.

Kuffy likes this.
  14. Kuffy

It isn't a matter of how many projects I have, but how many I have actually got developed and working.

A new one has just cropped up Bitcoin Patron - I'm doing so much charity work at the moment, that it's starting to cost me money. I think I'll use this domain to start a donations site, and then I can give Bryan a bit more money for his hosting. :)

Bryan likes this.
  15. Kuffy

Are you suggesting that it would be possible to buy hosting on WSWD for a small teamspeak group, that would be eligible for the free option. I'd be interested in this for my Fit to Talk English project. It is unlikely that there would be more than a dozen users at a time, and it probably wouldn't be 24/7. Do you have a feel for the annual cost of the hosting?

16. Konstantin

Correct. You can buy a VPS and then just install a regular 32 slot TeamSpeak on it without any sort of licensing costs
    So if let's say the VPS is $20 a month, that's all you'll pay. There are no extra fees involved provided you only need 32 slots. If you need it set up, PM me and I can help you with that.

17. Kuffy

I've got a vps I'm not using
    I'm on the mobile I'll pm you tomorrow

18. Konstantin

Sounds good. What OS do you have deployed on there currently?

19. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

As @Konstantin said, that is correct. Their free license will give you 32 slots. Anything more than that will require a license from them.

They also have a non-profit organization license, which gives you a bunch more slots, but they are in the process of redoing those licenses as well. They haven't been open for registration for quite some time.

Hosting on that would be around $20/year. Even the $12/year option here should work.

20. Kuffy

I think I'd like to try the $12 a year option @Bryan - I assume that if that isn't enough, then I can upgrade.
    I want to keep it as a stand alone project so that I can recruit some helpers to administer it.

I couldn't see it as an option on WSWD. How can I sign up. btw, I've got a new credit card, so the old one won't work any more.