Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

ANNOUNCEMENT Dot.tk Outage

Discussion in 'Network and Server Status' started by Bryan, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

There is apparently some sort of outage taking place with the .tk domains, in certain parts of the world. Specifically, we have had reports of .tk sites going down in South America, and the same people not being able to visit the dot.tk site either.

We don't know exactly what parts of the world this is affecting, but if your .tk site is down here, that is likely why.

If you provide a traceroute from your ISP to your website, we can gather the information and pass it on to the .tk folks.

2. Hussam Al-Tayeb

Hussam Al-Tayeb Hosting Client

Sorry to go offtopic, but as far as free domain names, another option is eu.org.
    I have been using a .eu.org free domain for a decade now and apart from when I didn't have web hosting, there have been no outages. There is no expiration or need to annually renew the domain. Applications for domains are manually approved so it may take hours or days for the domain to start working but it can be worth it under many circumstances.
    Eu.org is also managed by Pierre Beyssac, one of the co-founders of Gandi.net, so it is unlikely to disappear any time soon.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

So a while ago I was playing about with dot.tk trying to set it up with an account under my reseller, and it never worked and then shortly later I had an email saying I had violated the terms and conditions because it didn't go to anywhere live LOL. Yea you don't say!!!! LOL Absolutely hilarious. Set my mum up with a cu.cc subdomain and I am pretty pleased with it, very easy to do and also it is nice for using for testing things on an account again under my reseller :p

4. Fedora

Fedora Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

I seen your domain but I did not know that it is a free domain!

I never use free domains for my projects. But, if you says you have been using this option for a decade without problems, maybe now I can test a free domain like you. :)

5. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

They are usually fine for testing, but that's about it. You have to remember that there is nothing to stop them from going out of business, stopping their free domain service, etc., and when they do, your domain is gone. Heck, they could just take your domain away even if they aren't going out of business, i.e. what happened to Jase. So you could build a popular site, and all of the sudden wake up one morning and it's gone. Yikes!!! ha ha :eek:

You can even find .us or .info domains or similar for $2/year if you look hard enough. Yes...it goes up after the first year, but if you're just doing testing, you can have a real domain fairly cheap.

Hussam Al-Tayeb, Fedora and Jase Wolf like this.
  6. Fedora

Bryan, the no-citizens of USA can have a .us domain?

I wanted have a .us, but I felt fear of losing it.

7. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

I think it's just like eu.org, despite it beind meant for a specific jurisdiction in mind, anyone can use it whether they're in the jurisdiction or not

8. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

It's a valid concern. Most registrars do ask you to verify that you are a US Citizen (usually a checkbox), but I have never heard of anyone actually verifying that info. Could certainly happen though.

Fedora likes this.
  9. Fedora

Thank you for the information.

Conclusion: I will not take risk, and I will not use a free domain either.

But if one day I run out domains, I will beg you to let me use a subdomain in if1.us LOL!

Bryan likes this.
  10. sander k

sander k Hosting Client

I used to own an .US domain for 2 years and I am from the Netherlands.

11. Fedora

Thank you for the information. :)

12. Hussam Al-Tayeb

Speaking of TLDs, I have a question for Bryan.
    I set noindex on my website and so far Bing/yahoo deindexed it. Google is also doing so but slowly.
    After the old links are gone from google, I want to get a TLD then remove the noindex so google catches the new domain.
    If this goes as planned, will it be possible to edit the domain name in the cpanel account?
    Thank you!

13. sander k

sander k Hosting Client

I can answer that. It's yes :D

Bryan and Hussam Al-Tayeb like this.
  14. Hussam Al-Tayeb

Thank you very much Sander :)

sander k likes this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

Sander is correct. Easy to change the domain name.

sander k likes this.
  16. Fedora

In the past, I needed change the main domain in my account, and Bryan helped me with this.

Bryan is amazing. :)

Bryan likes this.
  17. Hussam Al-Tayeb

Bryan likes this.
  18. Fedora

I would prefer a: www. hussam.altayeb

:p

Bryan likes this.
  19. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

Why would you want to do this? Set up a monetised 404 page, and pick up the revenue. People pay extra for domains with old inbound links.

20. Hussam Al-Tayeb

I'm not interested in "monetizing" the internet from a free web hosting service.
    I have no need for the extra cash anyway ;).

Bryan likes this.