Dismiss Notice
It can take 24-48 hours for the hosting/Teamspeak applications to be reviewed. Opening a thread before 48 hours, asking about the application timeline will result in your account and application being deleted permanently.

Before signing up for an account, please see our Forbidden Countries List (https://www.instafree.com/forbidden_countries.php). If you are on that list, please do not attempt to sign up, as you will not be given a hosting account. Using a proxy to circumvent that list is a violation of our TOS and will result in immediate deletion of your account.

application for a forum host

Discussion in 'Free Shared Hosting' started by Czepa, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Czepa

Czepa Hosting Client

hi, im trying to create a free forum for www.thecrowhouse.com im finding the free forum hosting providers dont allow importing of styles or imagesets and a few limitations like that. what is the process here and what is the exchange, do we have advertising?

2. Czepa

Czepa Hosting Client

as ive found from reading other posts: full CP access - no limitations, and smooth transition to a paid service if demands require :)

3. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

You are correct with the cPanel access, and we use the real thing...not some homemade locked down panel.

Accordingly, there are no limitations when it comes to importing. Nothing in exchange. We don't do ads here or require so many posts per month, etc.

Jase Wolf likes this.
  4. Konstantin

Konstantin Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

However, we do ask that you strictly follow the TOS/AUP. If you think something may be in breach of TOS/AUP it never hurts to ask. Ask before you do.
    @Fedora @Kuffy @Joe Rodriguez and I have been here for a while now and can pretty much answer 99.99% of questions.
    We also have an auto installer which does all the install work for you.
    Hope this helps!

Jase Wolf, Bryan and Kuffy like this.
  5. Czepa

Czepa Hosting Client

awesome i will if i run into trouble thanks. im ontop of most of it, except the phpbb 3.0.14 install which im sure isnt difficult :) im aiming for something cool. i want these forums http://thecrowhouse.prophpbb.com but im going to import a dark imageset and edit the background colors to match.

EDIT: ill obviously have to delete these CP nerfed boards and clear up the domain i want to park at but i can change that later if i remember right?

6. Kuffy

Kuffy Premium Hosting Client

http://netbarons.com is a forum I set up using smf via softaculous. I got fed up with spammers trying to join, so it's closed, and I am the only person posting on it.

7. Konstantin

I wish SMF would support google captcha. Problem solved

8. Konstantin

Ever think of adding an SSL?
    You know that the Let's Encrypt Plugin is available

Kuffy and Bryan like this.
  9. Kuffy

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still messing around whilst I decide what I ought to be doing on the net. Brexit is the big topic at the moment for me. I paid Bryan for some hosting as a thank you for all he does for us, and I put my Brexit domain on that. I've installed Drupal, but I haven't done much else. With all the recent stuff that is going on, I'm going to have to focus on that for a while. This is why I just dumped the index page for the top list site, rather than trying to fix it and make it stable. Although net barons is based on a forum script, in the short term I'm just going to use it as a type of blog and information site. I got an email that there is an update for SMF, and I should install that, I hope it means that they are going to start to support it, because I quite like the strructure.

10. Hussam Al-Tayeb

Hussam Al-Tayeb Hosting Client

The first step in securing forums is to force people to validate their emails. Spammers often use fake emails. Check also if you can find a 'stopforumspam' mod or something similar for smf.

Bryan likes this.
  11. Konstantin

@Kuffy why did you use SMF?

12. Kuffy

Probably the main reason I'm using SMF is because I used it about 10 years ago. I tried a couple of others, hit some problems, and didn't have the patience to try to resolve them. It's not a major site, and I didn't want to spend too much time on it. I understand some of the methods I can use to avoid spammers, but I don't really want to spend time moderating an active forum at the moment. Maybe I'll change my mind in the future, or perhaps I'll just sell the domain name. :)

13. Bryan

Bryan Administrator

We have another spam thread somewhere, where a lot of this has been discussed, but the key really is good plug-ins and good blocking software. Luckily with Xenforo there are a lot of options for blocking spam, from being forced to having to wait to submit the application form, to Captcha to other tools. Email validation, as @Hussam Al-Tayeb mentioned is a great one as well.

On an average day, I have absolutely 0 spam registrations to go through, because all the automated systems do it for me. Every now and again, probably once a week, an entry will get marked as somewhat suspect, but not automatically deleted, and make it through to the account approval queue.

You also have to know your audience. Do you need your registrations open to the entire world? Can you block certain countries? How about VPNs and servers? Most legitimate users do not need to use a VPN or server to register, unless they're trying to hide something. So all the popular ones get blocked here, and I'm constantly adding more as I come across them. The bot folks use VPSs and servers because they can get tons of IPs relatively cheap, and run thier bot software from the VPSs.

Hussam Al-Tayeb likes this.
  14. Kuffy

I guess I'm using that site as a type of blog, rather than as an active forum,

My real problem is with some of the other sites such as the photo one. I'd like to allow a guest book and comments, but, once again, if I do that then I'm into a lot of moderation effort.

I'll probably allow it on the brexit site when I get motivated to move that forward. It uses drupal, so there are probably loads of helpful plugins to reduce spammers.. The other idea is to have a more or less un-moderated "toilet wall" page. It should be possible to block links, and to edit certain words.

Joe Rodriguez likes this.
  15. Joe Rodriguez

Joe Rodriguez Premium VPS Client Premium Hosting Client

On sites I develop personally... I let disqus handle the "comments" section...
    example: https://www.joerodriguez.us/blog/sample-post-2

never ever have had spam issues outsourcing the comments side of things

Kuffy likes this.
  16. Kuffy

Thanks for that link Joe - it looks interesting, and I'll certainly try it. I haven't decided on the structure of the site yet I'm debating as to whether I'll try making some YouTube videos, and wrapping a blog round those. I'm also mulling over how controversial I should be on the site. I've got some traditional and extreme views, and I'm not politically correct. For example, I think that referring to someone as "a person of colour" is racist, and smacks of white supremacy.

17. Konstantin

If you need anyone to help out I'm always available to help!

Bryan and Kuffy like this.
  18. Kuffy

Thanks for the offer. I think the help I need is for someone to tie me down, and to make me work on one project at a time, instead of going off on any new trend or subject that stimulates my interest.

Fedora and Bryan like this.
  19. Jase Wolf

Jase Wolf Premium Hosting Client VPS Client

[​IMG]

20. Konstantin

Says who!? Explore all you want! When you are ready to return with that project go for it!
    No deadline I assume XD